Friday, January 31, 2014

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

I haven't suffered this much emotional trauma from a book since I read John Green's "The Fault in our Stars." I bawled (the ugly, sobbing, gut wrenching kind of tears that hurt your face) and cried onto my terrified cat until she was able to squirm her now wet, furry body out of my ninja grip. It was awful, and by awful I mean you should read this book no matter what the emotional toll!!

I don't want to give any of this book away so I'm going to be vague here.  Just know this, this book won't just break your heart, it will rip out your beating heart and won't give it back. "We are all Completely Beside Ourselves" explores what truly makes a family a family. Even an "unconventional" family such as the one in this book has a place in the world and author Karen Joy Fowler sheds light on just how far love can go. Sisters Rosemary and Fern demonstrate that love can overcome any barrier, even language.

All that being said, this is not a love story, or a happy family story. This is a dark, probing story that will have you questioning things you may have never pondered, but... in a good way.

A must read for all, especially fans of animals or Jane Goodall.

No comments:

Post a Comment