Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers

Stop whatever you're doing and GO GET THIS BOOK!!! Hands down the most intriguing, morbid, hilarious, insightful, and absorbing nonfiction book I may have ever read!!!! This book was impossible to put down. I never thought I would have any interest in reading about human remains, but holy hell, now I know everything there is to know about them. Who knew cadavers could be soo interesting?

Mary Roach takes a seemingly dull and morbid topic and spins it into the most intriguing journey imaginable. Mary researched the many uses and functions of cadavers, and fills you in on everything you ever wanted to know about what really happens to our bodies when we die. Embalming, decomposing, cremating, organ transplants, crucifixion, cannibalism, donating your body to science, composing, melting, and soo much more.

Mary Roach has a great sense of humor and I was often laughing out loud at her witty stories. Some of my favorite parts were: the debate on whether you die when your heart stops or your brain stops, the fact that men are more likely to survive a plane crash, heads that still twitch up to 10 seconds of being guillotined, eating butt-cheeks, that's just to name a few. I really loved it all!

I'm a very squeamish person but I was able to handle this book pretty well there were a few parts I cringed (all the animal testing stories and the embalming process got to me) but overall I was too intrigued to be grossed out.

Seriously a must read. I loved this!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment