Friday, May 21, 2021

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks


Wow - how in the world did I wait so long to read this? This book was mind blowing and powerful - as someone who doesn't easily grasp science - I had a firm grip on what I was reading. Written as narrative non-fiction, Rebecca Skloot does an amazing job chronicling the tragically short life of Henrietta Lacks, the ethics of taking her cells, the science and amazing discovery from her cells, and the aftermath when her family finds out more than two decades after her death that pieces of their mother still live on all over the world. Rebecca did a fantastic job not only with the moral dilemmas, but with the racial component too. I learned SOO MUCH out of this. I hate science. but I loved this book. I'm so glad that Henrietta Lacks finally got the recognition as well as her family for all that they went through. Fascinating stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment