Sunday, December 7, 2014

America Again: Rebecoming the Greatness We Never Weren't

LOVED this!! I love satire so it's amazing that I haven't gotten around to reading Stephen Colbert sooner. I highly recommend listening to the audiobook version because it's narrated by the Colbert himself. Laugh out loud funny, this audiobook may have listeners careening out of control on the highway. It's that good.

Colbert breaks his book apart into the following sections: American exceptionalism, jobs, healthcare, Wall Street, energy, elections, justice, food, easy solutions, and "I am Drunk." Each chapter is meant to reinforce the listener/reader's belief that America is the greatest and he gives hilarious reasons why. “America is exceptional. Does that statement shock you? It shocks me to have to say it! To be forced by your doubt to say out loud that America is exceptional implies something ugly. It's like telling the host of a dinner party 'I'm certain your wife is a female.' Saying it out loud just feels wrong. No matter how big her hands are.”

Hilarious, ironic, and well worth a listen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment