Friday, December 6, 2013

The Night Guest

I don't remember who recommended this book to me but I was not a fan. This was one of those books I started reading without knowing anything about the plot or storyline. Bad idea.

The story follows this elderly lady, Ruth, as she slowly loses her mind to old age. She starts hearing noises at night and is convinced there is a tiger lurking in the hallway. Soon after, a bossy woman named Frida, invites herself into the house and tells Ruth the government has sent her as part of a program for the elderly. Things go downhill from there. Frida uses Ruth's frail state to take advantage of her. While it's clear that Frida develops a soft spot for Ruth and admires her, it's obvious that she plans on milking this poor old lady for all she's worth by exploiting her aging mind.

While it was beautifully written, I didn't feel that this story did anything for me. I just felt bad for the old lady. Read at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment