Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Host


After my best friend practically forced me to read the Twilight series in high school I decided I pretty much hated Stephanie Meyer. I was not a fan of her conflictless story line, lack of character development and overall sappy unbelievable romance. But once I started seeing movie previews for The Host, I had to admit I was intrigued. When my book club chose this I decided I would go ahead and read it, because what the hell, it couldn't be any worse than Twilight.I was right... and wrong.

Overall, it wasn't a bad book, it wasn't great, but it was compelling enough that I finished it and didn't hate it. Basically earth is a real life invasion of the body snatchers and aliens beings have taken over nearly all the humans. A handful of humans exist in hiding and the alien hosts are trying to find and eradicate them. Melanie, her brother Jamie, and her lover Jared had been keeping a low profile but Melanie is captured by the aliens and one of their kind is implanted in Melanie's body. Melanie has no control over her memories or bodily functions but she is still a presence. Wanderer, the name of the alien host in her body, is a good being and together they work together trying to find her family and lover.

Of course things aren't always as easy as they sound and Melanie and Wanderer find themselves trying to prove their loyalty to the handful of humans that end up capturing them. Can Wanderer betray her kind? Can Melanie?

It wasn't a bad story, it was just anti-climactic. I am anxious to see the movie though and see how it compares. They also recently announced that Stephanie Meyer was making this into a trilogy and that there are two more coming out... we'll see. I don't know if I want to read them. Overall, it was just ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment