Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Ariadne


I've been hankering for something to whet my appetite while I wait for Madeleine Miller to cook up a new Greek re-telling and Ariadne fit the bill. Like Circe I knew hardly anything about the mythology surrounding Ariadne, even though I knew all about her supporting cast of characters (King Minos, the Minotaur, Zeus, Hera, Dionysus, etc). Ariadne is the daughter of Kind Minos and older sister to the Minotaur. She dreams about one day leaving the kingdom, away from her tyrant father and monster brother. She always imagines that her beloved sister, Phaedra, will accompany her. When Theseus is brought from Athens to Crete to be sacrificed to the Minotaur, Ariadne has no idea how much her life is about to change. She is determined to be the master of her own destiny - no matter what the gods cook up for her. Compelling, fascinating, and wonderful. More please!

No comments:

Post a Comment