Sunday, May 20, 2012

Are You LISTENING to Me?!

So I got a "job" as a freelance audio-book reviewer for "The Library Journal" and I received my first audio-book in the mail 4 days ago. I said surprise me with a suspense/thriller and I got David Baldacci's, "The Innocent." I was all excited until I realized it was 10 discs long and 12 hours and 15 mins. I could have read the whole damn book in 3 or 4 hours! Woof. So after 4 grueling days of listening I finally got it finished. Audio-books would be great for road trips and stuff but it's hard to fit into a normal schedule. I painted my nails, attempted to write a letter (but then I stopped concentrating on listening), cleaned the basement, and laid on the sofa staring wistfully at the radio. It's tough work doing all that listening! I'm hoping the next audio-book they send me is a lighter, shorter listen. Gosh I'm a cry-baby. 

"The Library Journal" has very specific standards and word counts so here is the review I submitted to them (Also, I don't have the copyright to it anymore... I think. So that's my disclaimer, lol. I'll let you all know if it get's published in their magazine anytime soon!).


Baldacci, David. The Innocent. 10 CDs. 12 hr., 15 min. AudioGo. 2011. ISBN 9781611131680. $89.99.
David Baldacci’s (http://davidbaldacci.com/) twenty-fourth novel introduces agent Will Robie into his best-selling world of crime and suspense. Will Robie, an assassin for the US government, finds himself fleeing from his own agency after a seemingly routine mission goes badly. While on the run he forms an unlikely alliance with a fourteen year old girl whose parents have been brutally murdered. Together they try to stay one step ahead of the people trying to kill them and attempt to put together the pieces of the nasty entanglement they find themselves in. The action is fast and non-stop and the narration by Ron McLarty and Orlagh Cassidy is crisp and realistic.  They switch between characters with ease and keep perfect pace with the ever quickening plot. Of interest to Connelly and Grisham fans. – Erin Cataldi, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN.

No comments:

Post a Comment