Friday, February 28, 2020

Unmarriagable

I adored this! This may be my favorite retelling of Pride and Prejudice yet!! Set in Pakistan in 2000, Alys Binat and her older sister Jena are considered spinsters at the ages of 30 and 31. Since their family's "fall from grace" they've defied cultural norms by teaching at a local English speaking school. Single and teaching! Their mother is positively aghast but they need the extra income. When their family scores an invitation to the city's most anticipated wedding their mother is sure that they can find wealthy men. I could go on but really it's the exact same plot of Pride and Prejudice with different cultural markers, names, food, and modern day variations. I loved it. I would love if they made a Sense and Sensibility set in Pakistan. This was so much fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment