Monday, October 28, 2019

Lab Girl

Wow! I'm not a big science buff, but I ADORED this book. 75% memoir and 25% scientific; this unconventional book will win over everyone, not just scientists. Hope Jahren chronicles her journey in the science lab starting with her father while she was a child her first "adult" forays in college, the meeting of her life long lab partner/best friend/ soul mate Bill, creating her first lab, her first teaching gig, meeting her husband, and the birth of her child. Hope is honest about her mental illness, the struggles of finding enough money to keep her lab open and Bill employed, the ups and downs of teaching, and the sweet unadulterated joy of research. Fascinating from start to finish. I never thought I would like something like this but it made me appreciate scientific research that much more. Her dry humor, wit, and candor really help make up for all the scientific things you may not know. Also, now I have to plant a tree. Or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment