Saturday, September 28, 2013

Yes, Chef: A Memoir

Ok, go ahead and judge me, but I will admit I started this book not having a clue who in the hell Marcus Samuelsson was. Not one. I won this audiobook in a competition and it sounded interesting, I like watching and reading about people cooking, but I am no chef. On a good day I make mac n cheese. I'm pretty pathetic. Anyways, I'm glad I read this, it was a really inspiring story.

Hod does an Ethiopian orphan raised by Swedish parents become one of the greatest chefs in the world? Well you have to read to find out. Marcus put all of his energy and talents into becoming the greatest chef he could be, and over the years traveled to different countries chasing flavors and developing a unique spin on cooking. He hit it big in America which is where he now resides as a celebrity chef.

For those that don't care squat about cooking this book may still interest you, this memoir touches on a little bit of everything from growing up as a little black boy in a mainly all white country, to family, to the value of hardwork, forgiveness, and love.

I would also recommend listening to the audio version which is narrated by Marcus himself, his accent and annunciations help make the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment