Saturday, September 2, 2017

The Girls in the Picture

I adored this book. For some unknown reasons I didn't have high expectations, maybe it was the cover? Who knows, but despite my initial misgivings, I am happy to say that I was instantly hooked. The story was wonderfully crafted and the chapters alternated between Mary Pickford, America's Sweetheart, first "celebrity," and silent movie star and Frances Marion, the famed screenwriter. I had heard of Mary Pickford but I didn't really know about her or the silent film era either. Readers get a wonderful glimpse of what life was like for women in early Hollywood through the unique lens of two women who actually existed (although their narratives are in this book are fiction). The history of silent film and the birth of Hollywood is fascinating and this book offers an in depth look at not only these two women, but the men surrounding them, Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, studio heads and more. One of the best historical fiction reads I've read in a long while and a must read!

No comments:

Post a Comment