Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Elizabeth I

I haven't read historical fiction in a minute and I will admit that I was first daunted by the size of this book. However I was quickly captivated and this book was all I could think about. I had to know more! I vaguely remember learning about Queen Elizabeth I in history class, but what did I really know about her, so much was a mystery about her private life.

This 600+ page novel doesn't start during her childhood or even during her early reign. It starts when the Queen is in her mid-fifties and follows her through the end of her rule. It was utterly FASCINATING! The plot is told through the Queen's perspective and through her cousin, Lettice. Together they know an impressive cast of characters; Shakespeare, Francis Bacon, Grace O'Malley and more. I learned so much and was kept utterly charmed. I couldn't believe how wonderfully this was written and how much research the author put in to flesh out the queen's life. I can't wait to read more by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment