Monday, June 18, 2012

I Need a Vacation From My Vacation!!

I need to get my butt in gear and get back into the swing of blogging! I feel as if I haven't been on here in ages! Between coming back from Russia, staying with my family up north, then going back home and visiting with my dad and brothers from Las Vegas, I'm exhausted! I've spent the past week unpacking, thrifting (my family loves goodwill... and so do I!), attending family get togethers, drinking, and catching up with friends. I've hardly had any me time and as a result I'm sorely behind on my reading and blogging! In the past three weeks I've only completed ONE book (Wuthering Heights on the airplane, so blah it's not even worth reviewing)! Ahhhh! I must catch up!

About a week ago I signed up for an Outlander readalong.  Each week there are different questions about the novel that many bloggers have faithfully decided to answer. Here goes!



These questions were put forth from Jess of Gone With the Words:
1. Outlander is a well-known book. Before you cracked it open, what were your expectations or assumptions about this story? Or did you jump into it with a blank slate?
Well, I've been hearing about this book for quite a long time. My aunt has been OBSESSED with Outlander for as long as I can remember. She would re-read the series each time a new one was released. All I knew was that it was a time-traveling romance that took place in Scotland. Sounds intriguing enough I suppose.
2. Claire’s husband, Frank, is fascinated with learning more and more facts about his family tree, which extends back pretty far. Do you or anyone in your family keep a family tree? How many years/generations back does it go? If not, have you ever considered or attempted to create one?
My grandma tracked my grandpa's family all the way into 17th century Italy. I'd love to go back farther or learn more about the other sides of my family but I'm a horrible researcher and I want everyone else to do all the hard work for me, lol.
3. How did you find Claire’s initial conclusion as to her surroundings after waking up from going through the stones? Did you think that was a reasonable conclusion?
I thought it was kind of ridiculous. Who thinks they've stumbled unto a movie set? Maybe that would have seemed like a logical guess for like 10 seconds but beyond that is crazy. If I see kilted men racing toward me on horseback, speaking gaelic, and heading into battle with swords and muskets, either someone spent thousands of dollars on a practical joke or I magically traveled back into time. 
4. How about her composed, rational way of dealing with the fact she’s traveled back in time. Did you find it believable? Do you think you would have acted the same way?
I guess it seemed pretty rational. Everyone reacts differently to situations and the fact that she adjusts fairly quickly isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would freak out for a while, but Claire is smart and realizes that there isn't a whole lot that she can do at the moment so she takes everything in stride  and tries to adjust as best she can.
5. At this point in the story, what are your feelings or expectations on Claire and Jamie? Is Frank still a factor for you?
Umm, if you travel back in time I don't think adultery is your biggest concern. Personally, I've already chosen to forget about Frank. I honestly didn't like him much to begin with anyway.
Bonus Question: Frank encounters a man outside of the inn where he and Claire are staying. He is afraid it might have been a ghost. What do you believe it was? Do you have any predictions or suspicions on what that was about?
I already forgot about that guy! I guess I assume that it's Jamie?! I'm not really sure. He was wearing a kilt and looking for Claire so that's probably the most logical guess one can make. 

Well that's it for the readalong this week. More to come! Also, I'll fill you in on how my new job is! Soo excited that I finally got a job in a library! I'm a big girl now! Woot Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment