Monday, March 18, 2024

Higher Power


I didn't love this book but I learned so much. This is never a book I would have picked up, but I'm not mad that I had to read it. Prior to reading this book, the only other book on nuclear energy I had ever read was, "Midnight in Chernobyl" which was slightly terrifying. Higher Power is not that kind of book. Broken into three parts: Higher Power has a mix of different nuclear themes. The first section is about Dowie, a religious leader/fanatic/hypocrite and the founder of the city of Zion in Illinois. The second part of the book is about the nuclear plant with twin reactors that was built in the town. The author was able to spend nearly two years there as a journalist working for the Chicago Tribune. The final section of the book is a bit of a hodge podge about the future of nuclear energy, former workers of the Zion plant, and the decommissioning process, and other nuclear disasters. It was all interesting - but a very dense read.

No comments:

Post a Comment