Saturday, April 18, 2020

A Discovery of Witches

This book started out SUPER slow, I wasn't sure I was going to make it. But I did and I got super invested in the characters. There was a bit of a twilight/50 Shades of Gray vibe as the main vampire is VERY protective and controlling of his love interest, the hapless witch, who needs to be rescued time and again. They weren't my favorite characters and I found myself really identifying with the side characters (of which there were plenty). The quick and dirty summary of this book is that a historian (who is also a witch - who denies her powers and lives as a human) who studies old alchemy manuscripts finds a weird bewitched text in an Oxford library and suddenly witches, daemons, and vampires are following her every move. They want the manuscript and they can't believe a lesser witch such as her somehow found this seemingly lost text and managed to open it. Her life is in danger as all the magical creatures converge on her. One creature (who may or may not have ulterior motives) seems to actually care about her. A scientist (whose also a sexy centuries old vampire) takes her under his wing and protects her until they figure out what the big deal about this manuscript is.

No comments:

Post a Comment